Most documents will require an internal workflow before requesting and obtaining signatures. In Concord, this is done directly through the Approval Workflow feature to make your process more automated.
Please note the Approval feature was previously named "Workflows," updated in April 2021.
- Concord also offers a weekly Approval Workflow live training webinar; register here or watch a pre-recorded version.
Creating a Custom Approval
- From the Home page:
- Click on the 'New document' button in the top right of your screen
- or; Click on Documents in the left-hand navigation panel to select an existing document in the 'draft' stage
- Click on 'Approvals' from the right-hand side of your screen.
- Click 'Set Approval'
- Select 'Custom Approval'
- Select 'Add Step' and build the steps of your workflow.
- A 'Mandatory Step' will always be required.
- A 'Conditional Step' will be required based on values input into the documents 'Smart Fields
Note: Users with access to the Company Workflow feature will choose from a Company Workflow - this is offered with some of our paid plans.
Example: If HR is extending an offer letter for a director-level position, it must be approved by the Vice president. An approval would be set by selecting 'Custom Approval' and building the workflow using Smart Fields in the document.
Create Company Approvals
- View, edit, and create Company Approval Workflows in Approvals on the home page in the left-hand navigation panel.
- Company approvals can be added pre-emptively in anticipation of needing certain team members' approval. For example, any time a contract is over $300,000, we require the approval of our CFO. Therefore, build the CFO approval in 'Company Approvals' and add it to any contract meeting the CFO approval criteria.
- The Approval Workflow feature can be customized to either automate approval steps or manually request approval.
- Automatically Notify: The approver next in line will be notified via email and through 'My Tasks' on their home page.
- Allow External Guests to Sign at any Time: Guests can sign the document or contract before completing the approval process.
Granting or Rejecting Approval
Users with approval rights can:
- Approve a document
- Reject approval of a document
- Cancel an approval or rejection
- Users can still edit a contract before or after approval has been granted. However, if any party (user, approver, or third party) edits the contract after approval, approval will need to be granted again for the contract to be signed.
Resetting & Cancelling an Approval
- If approval is rejected, the workflow does not reset.
- To cancel a rejection, the user will need to go to the workflow tab and select the Cancel Rejection option.
- The only way to reset a workflow is for a non-approver or guest to edit the document's content. If an approver edits the document after their approval, the workflow will reset to their approval step.
- Once the entire approval Workflow has been granted, all parties will be able to sign it. The timeline of changes and approvals will be listed in the 'Audit Trail' to the right of the contract in the summary tab and will not be shared with third parties once the contract is sent for signature.