The approval flow can often depend on the contract’s variables like the amount, type of customer, region, etc. In most cases, exceeding or meeting some values leads to additional approval steps, or different approvers, being required.
With Custom Conditional Approvals, we allow you to set some Custom Approval steps as conditional based on conditions related to Smart Fields.
Please note the Approval feature was previously named "Workflows," updated April 2021.
Creating a Custom Conditional Approval
- When setting up a Custom approval workflow on a document, each step can be set as Mandatory or Conditional. In conditional, you will select a Smart field then define one or more conditions based on that Smart field. Each condition can contain different approvers.
- Select 'Approvals' from the Summary tab on the right side of the screen
- Click on 'Set an approval.'
- Select 'Custom Workflow.' This feature is not currently offered for Company Workflows.
- Click Add a Step
- Select: 'Mandatory' or' 'Conditional'. If Mandatory, select the Approver(s) and choose between 'everyone' or 'anyone'*.
- If Conditional, select a Smart Field from the dropdown
- Select one: contains, equals, or does not equal
- Enter the desired value in the field
- For more conditions on the same Smart Field, click the blue Add button repeat steps 7 and 8
- Click 'Get approval from' and select desired approvers (users or teams)
- Repeat for all desired approval steps
- Optional: check the box to notify the next approver for this Workflow automatically - learn more here
Note Select 'Anyone' if only one person on the step must approve OR 'Everyone' if everyone assigned to the step must approve
When the document is in Review: only the Mandatory steps, and the Conditional steps for which the condition is true, are displayed in the Document Progress Card.
Conditions are not mutually exclusive. If several conditions are set on the same field: none, one, some, or all can be true simultaneously (in that case, all corresponding approvers are required).
When a user edits the document’s content or the value of the Smart fields then hit Save, the workflow is updated and:
- Steps where the condition is met, become required.
- Steps where the condition is no longer met, are hidden and no longer block the signature.
- The approvals already given might be revoked using the same rules as now:
If a third party made the edit, all approvals are revoked, and the workflow starts back from the beginning.
If the edit was made by a user not present in the approval workflow, all approvals are revoked;
If the edit was made by a user present in the approval workflow, approvals are revoked from the bottom up until the step where that user is on. Meaning the latest a user is in the flow, the least his modifications require re-approval.
- Your Templates can have conditions set in the same way. When using the template, the workflow will be duplicated to the new Draft, like it already does, with the conditions untouched. It will from there be possible to customize this workflow further (same as now).
Note: On a Template, in the Workflow tab, all steps are always shown, whatever the status of the Smart fields in the document.
When using “Copy as a template” on a document in Draft or Review, the workflow is also duplicated to the new Template in the same fashion.