This feature is available for customer's on select subscription plans with the Smart Fields feature. Please contact our Customer Success Team should you be interested in accessing this feature.
The approval flow can often depend on the contract’s variables like the amount, type of customer, region, etc. In a majority of cases, exceeding or meeting some values leads to additional approval steps, or different approvers, being required. With Custom Conditional Workflows, we allow you to set some steps as optional (conditional) in a Custom workflow, based on conditions related to Smart Fields - learn more here.
Creating a Custom Conditional Workflow
When setting up a Custom approval workflow on a document, each step can be set as Mandatory or Conditional. In conditional, you will select a Smart field then define one or more conditions based on that Smart field. Each condition can sport different approvers.
To add a Conditional Custom Workflow to your active document:
- Select 'Workflows' from the Summary tab on the right side of the screen
- Click on 'Set an approval'
- Select 'Custom Workflow'. This feature is not currently offered for Company Workflows.
- Click Add a Step
- Select: 'Mandatory' or' 'Conditional'. If Mandatory, simply select the Approver(s) and choose between 'everyone' or 'anyone'*.
- If Conditional, select a Smart Field from the dropdown
- Select one: contains, equals, or does not equal
- Enter the desired value in the field
- For more conditions on the same Smart Field, click the blue add button repeat steps 7 and 8
- Click 'Get approval from' and select desired approvers (users or teams)
- Repeat for all desired approval teps
- Optional: check the box to automatically notify the next approver for this Workflow - learn more here
- *Select 'Anyone' if the approval of only one person is required on a step with multiple approvers prior to signature OR select "Everyone” if multiple approvers are required to approve before moving to the next group.
- When the document is in Review, only the Mandatory steps, and the Conditional steps for which the condition is true, are displayed and required in order to unlock the “Sign” button
- If several conditions are set on the same field, none, one, several or even all can be true at the same time. In that case, all corresponding approvers are required. Conditions are not mutually exclusive.
When a user edits the document’s content or the value of the Smart fields then hit Save, the workflow is updated and:
- Steps, where the condition is now met, become required
- Steps where the condition is no longer met are hidden and no longer block the signature.
- The approvals already given might be revoked using the same rules as now:
If the edit was made by a third party, all approvals are revoked and the workflow starts back from the beginning.
If the edit was made by a user not present in the approval workflow, all approvals are revoked;
If the edit was made by a user present in the approval workflow, approvals are revoked from the bottom up until the step where that user is on. Meaning the latest a user is in the flow, the least his modifications require re-approval.
Your Templates can have conditions set in the exact same way. When using the template, the workflow will be duplicated to the new Draft, like it already does, with the conditions untouched. It will from there be possible to customize this workflow further (same as now).
On a Template, in the Workflow tab, all steps are always shown, whatever the status of the Smart fields in the document.
When using “Copy as a template” on a document in Draft or Review, the workflow is also duplicated to the new Template is the same fashion.